Timberland PRO Men’s Hyperion Waterproof Work Boot
Timberland produce a range of boots under the PRO Hyperion label and cover options such as steel or soft toe and obvious color variations. Made from a good quality Nubuck leather they are designed to protect from electrical hazards as well as keep the feet dry. The soles of the boot are designed to absorb shock and release it back into key areas to reduce foot fatigue. In addition to the fact that they conforms to the safety standards; ASTM 2413-11, ASTM F2412-11, F2892-11 and ANSI Z41PT99 they have a long list of features just about every one of which has a trademarked name :). Here are the key points;
- Vibram Outsole: Vibram is the trademark name for rubber outsoles that are strong and constructed to withstand the harshest working conditions and environments.
- Abrasion-Resistant Ever-Guard Leather: Specially treated leather gives impressive scrape resistance and improves toughness.
- Antimicrobial Smell Control: Mesh lining with antimicrobial therapy for odor control as well as comfortable feet.
- Timberland PRO ® rubber toe and also Ever-Guard ™ natural leather backstay and underlays for enhanced scrape resistance and also sturdiness
- Light-weight molded EVA midsole for athletic efficiency
- Thermal Plastic Urethane (TPU) shank for structural assistance
- Dual-density Dynamic Anti-Fatigue Technology absorbs shock and returns energy at essential zones of the foot, while offering improved wetness administration for all-day comfort
So Timberland say they are a good boot with lots of features, not really a surprise. The reality is that all of their Pro hyperion labelled boots are very well regarded. Good materials and reasonably well made with solid cement construction as well as being non-marking, oil-resistant, and abrasion-resistant. They are available in with either an alloy safety toe or soft toe. Obviously it depends a bit on the size of your foot etc but in general the safety toe is large enough to be comfortable without feeling that you are wearing clown shoes. They also have a good shank and footplate to reduce nails and other debris puncturing the shoe (and your foot).
Beyond all that is the comfort factor. Very simply, they are comfortable and the reality is that is the comfort level that makes them so well regarded. For the sales speak they feature Timberland’s PowerFit ™ comfort system which utilizes a mix of ergonomically designed elements at vital areas to provide movement and critical support as well as an anti-fatigue insole that is designed to envelop millions of tiny air cells to give comfort along the length of the foot, hour after hour, every day. Being a cynic, millions of air cells sounds a lot like a sponge to me :). Anyway they are comfortable to the point where Timberland state that if within the first thirty days after purchase you believe your footwear are not more comfortable than other brands you have worn, they will refund the purchase price of the boots to you, no questions asked.
Now the negatives. They are promoted as waterproof with water-proof leather from which liquids will bead and drop as well as having a waterproof Membrane layer to keep feet drier. They are numerous reports though of the waterproofing failing after some time, anywhere from 1 to 6 months. It might be better to consider them highly water resistant and perhaps should be looking elsewhere if you are regularly walking in a lot of water. Similarly they can be slippery and not real good on snow which is surprising being Vibram soled. Finally on construction, while they are reasonably well made these are work boots which are usually worn for long days and often demanding situations. While they seem fine when new there are reports fabric shredding and the uppers starting to come apart after a while. For longevity expect to get 6-12 months out of these boots.
Overall. They have their limitations, but if they are not a problem and you can accept that they are not a long wearing boot you are looking at probably one of the most comfortable work boots you can buy.
- Waterproof work boot with leather upper featuring safety-toe cap on TiTan XL last for lightweight protection and good fit featuring dual-purpose hardware for quick lacing
- PowerFit comfort system
- Mesh lining with anti-odor treatment
- Premium leather upper with waterproof membrane for extreme abrasion resistance and dry feet
- Timberland pro rubber double toe and ever-guard leather backstay for increased abrasion resistance and durability