Ironically improper care of snakeskin can be unsafe and harmful, at least to your boots!
Snake and lizard skin is by nature highly absorbent, taking in and releasing moisture around it more quickly than most leathers. Hot and cold extreme temperatures, spills and dusty environments can also cause problems and make sure you don’t leave your shoes or boots in front of a fire or radiator, as it can cause the snakeskin dry out and crack giving it a shriveled and weathered appearance and is potentially impossible to repair. Also standard leather products like alcohol, oil, and acetone can actually ruin and or discolor snake and lizard skin!!! Only ever use products that are designed or designated as safe for exotic leathers and snakeskin
Otherwise just apply a conditioner made for snakeskin which are lighter in composition than most basic leather conditioners, if you look around at the products they are generally considered the ‘light’ or ‘delicate’ versions. It is also best to utilize a cream item instead of a wax as it will go in better and is less likely to leave a residue or build up around the scales.
Use only neutral colored products as colored polishes will often respond the chemicals used in tanning and tinge the skin green. White snakeskin is actually bleached and will ultimately return to their natural golden color, don’t re-bleach it as it will shorten the life of the boot.
Finally, lizard and snakeskin boots are often made with a layer of snakeskin laminated over normal leather which can dry out over time. If this happens use of a quality leather conditioner on the inside of the boot and let them sit for a few days.
Here are a few products that the manufacturers specifically state as being ok to use with exotic leather. The links for each one will open a new page with more details so you can check them out properly (including the buy button – it doesn’t add to cart or anything like that).
Fiebigs leather lotion specifically mentions that it adds an element of waterproofing
- Revive worn and dried-out leather easily with this premium product
- Wax-free lotion formula works well on all smooth leathers, exotic leathers and man-made leather-like materials
- Quickly, easily and safely cleans away dirt and grime
- Neutral colored leather paste blend that is great for all exotic and smooth leathers
- Helps preserve items by waterproofing and replenishing tanning oils
- Keeps leather pliant and water repellent by coating each fiber with a blend of oils and waxes
- Designed for Exotic Leathers and Reptile Skin
- Cleans, softens and preserves
- Foaming formula
- Removes tough dirt, mildew and salt stains
- Great for boots, belts, handbags, wallets
- Moisturizes, protects and softens leather
- Leaves no greasy or sticky residue
- Works on all leather, including exotic leathers and lambskin, and is Ph balanced
- Gives leather a soft touch
- Especially suitable for leather clothing such as gloves, pants and jackets etc
- This item is a Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner 8 Ounces
- Purpose of use for Farming, Horse Care Equipment
- This product is manufactured in United States
- Delicate cleaning gel for all leathers!
- Perfect for exotic reptile leathers!
- Nourishes leather too!
- Use for patent leather too!
- Imported from Europe!