KEEN Utility Men’s Sheridan Insulated Comp Toe Cascade Work Boot
Here is an imposing looking boot with an equally big title! The Keen Footwear Company is well known for creating industrial strength work boots that are designed for real work. The upper is made from nubuck leather, is waterproof and is insulated for cold weather work. Insulation is a thermal foil barrier together with a soft charcoal bamboo layer that is reasonably thin but effective which has the added benefit of being anti bacterial. Goodyear welt construction and a good solid rubber sole that it exceeds the ASTM F1677-96 Mark II standards for non-slip testing as well meeting the ASTM standards for Electrical Hazard safety. Additionally the soles are oil resistant as you would expect from any decent work boot.
- 600g KEEN.Warm™ insulation
- 90 degree heel
- KEEN.DRY ™ waterproof breathable membrane
- Left and right asymmetrical composite toe
- Lining with hydrophobic/hydrophilic 2-zone comfort technology
- Locking metal hooks and lacing eyelets
- Meets or exceeds ASTM F1677-96 Mark II non-slip testing standards
- Meets or exceeds ASTM F2412-11 and F2413-11 I/75 C/75 EH standards
- Oil and slip resistant non-marking rubber outsole
- Removable thermal heat shield footbed
- TPU stability shank
- Waterproof nubuck leather upper
Something to mention is the asymetrical safety toe, basically the steel toes are made for the left and right foot and its something you would expect to see much more often but surprisingly isn’t that common. Keen describe it as created using uniquely anatomically correct steel, aluminum, & composite toe designs to provide a roomier toe box and maximum comfort. Roomier may be an understatement, very simply the toe box is big and some people may find it a bit too big.
Insulated, waterproof yet breathable interior with a thick outer leather on a rubber sole with slip and oil resistance, all sound’s good. Stitching is above par and the padding is excellent so the break in period is short. The rubber on the toes is only average though so expect some wear and tear here and in regards to insulation, they are designed to keep your feet warm and dry in cold weather but it isn’t really thick enough for the extremes or extended periods (all day). In or out of the cold or snow for an hour or so at a time and it should be fine. Finally at really low temperatures, the soles of the boots will freeze and lose their flexibility.
They will set you back around $220 and are all up a long lasting comfortable work boot. Currently rated an impressive 4.7 out of 5 by customers on amazon they are often recommended as one of the best work boots for electricians with one customer specifically calling them the “Electricians DREAM!”. Regardless of your trade, the limitations for most people are minimal and they would definitely worth a look.
- Keen. Dry waterproof, breathable membrane
- Nubuck waterproof leather upper
- Left and right asymmetrical composite toes
- Locking metal lace hooks
- thermoplastic polyurethane shank for midfoot support